Monday, January 9, 2012

The Sound of Zimbabwe

When we went to Cape Town last weekend, there were two bands playing on the water front, one of which were a group of marimba players. After listening, I told the guy selling CDs that my son was taking marimba lessons. Another listener then introduced himself - he's Zimbabwean, living in South Africa and just listening and missing home. The marimba is a Zimbabwean instrument. There's something about Zimbabweans - even with the craziness of what comes with elections and such, the people are just typically laid back and friendly. I had a wave of homesickness for my home in Harare.

At a fundraiser for an orphanage before Christmas, we were happy to find that Miles's teacher's marimba band was performing. They even let Miles join them for a couple of songs. It was really cool.



1 comment:

  1. Wow! Miles, we are super impressed! Elliott and I loved watching your performance. Very, very cool!

    Sara

    ReplyDelete