Monday, June 29, 2009

First Solo Play Date

It wasn't planned really. I just spoke to Marit, the mother of a classmate of Eliza's today (who's also a friend of mine), and she said Eliza could come over in the afternoon. I'd planned to take the kids to the British Club to meet other friends (Alex & Oliver). When I got home from work, I asked Eliza what she'd rather do: go to the swimming pool and playground with me and Miles and the Wareings? Or go to Rosa's house by herself. Mind you she was already fully dressed in her bathing suit and expecting to go to the pool. "Rosa's house! Rosa's house!" So I took her over there, and she jumped out of the car and was standing outside the gate yelling "Rosa! Rosa! I'm here!" She's only been there once before and that was maybe 6 months ago when we did a play group there, so I was surprised that she even recognized the place, but she did. "This is Rosa's house!" There were excited hugs and kisses between her and Rosa when she arrived (typical of what they'd do at school when they saw each other in the morning), and then they ran off to play. No good-bye mommy! No worries at all. She was there for nearly 3 hours and ate dinner with them. No fights or tears or accidents. When I arrived to pick her up, she cried. "I want to sleep here with Rosa!" Marit was kind enough to agree that Eliza could come back tomorrow morning. They leave at the end of the week for their summer holiday, unfortunately. I confess I'm a little concerned that she might be like her mother, always dying to spend-the-night-over with friends instead of staying home (boring). But I'm impressed that, like her brother, she's so brave and excited to be completely on her own.

2 comments:

  1. I would have love to have seen some of that -- can't wait to see her in action in August! -- Love, Gayle/Grammy

    ReplyDelete