Thursday, January 20, 2011

Proud Moment

At guitar lessons today, Miles's teacher asked him out of the blue, What's your favorite song right now? And Miles said after some thought, Phantom Limb (The Shins).

Miles started taking guitar lessons weekly from a local musician named Prayer. At Miles's first lesson, Prayer played one of his own a songs, and I was fighting back tears. He's good. I really feel like it's a privilege for Miles to study under him. They meet in small room above some run-down shops.

Miles has learned "Twinkle Twinkle" and "Mary Had a Little Lamb," but he prefers chords. He has learned E, E minor, C, D and A, plus a few more "original" chords that he calls Shazan, Decul and Donko (his favorite, it's really cool). He is starting to get interested in actually practicing, too.

Miles in a lesson with Prayer

2 comments:

  1. Also a proud Nana moment while I read this post and saw the photo. Even though I don't have an inkling of musical talent, I am so proud of my daughters, sons-in-law, and now grandchildren who DO. At least Nana & Addy Daddy appreciate music!
    Where did Miles hear the song Phantom Limb? Has he seen the YouTube video? Now I'll have to admit to friends that my GRANDSON is introducing me to new songs & groups.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He heard the song from us, but he's the one who decides if he likes it or not. Like "The Luckiest Guy from the Lower East Side." That was on S&B's wedding CD. Miles has decided he's going to sing it at the Grade 1B teacher's wedding this summer. Una had him sing it (again) for her at the school pick-up. This was after the principal pulled me aside to tell me how Miles at assembly today just picked up the microphone and started singing ("perfectly") "This Little Light of Mine" which someone was playing on the piano as the students were (supposed to be) filing out of the hall. I'm beginning to wonder if Miles has a little of his Uncle Jason's attraction to the stage. I guess a benefit of not caring what people think is that you're less prone to stage fright.

    ReplyDelete