Sunday, May 31, 2009

Harvesting the Garden

Fe and Eliza picked grape leaves from our vines out back. She soaked them overnight, then made a big pot of stuffed grape leaves that were certainly the very best stuffed grape leaves I've ever eaten. Buttery, lemony...even the kids ate them. Yes, they ate rolled-up, dark green, moist things that were good for them--leaves that have grown lush with absolutely no contribution by me, just lots of sunshine and a bit of soil and water. 

The size of it!

To the left of my hand are the tiny beginnings of the grapes. Last year they were pretty sour, so we didn't eat them. It never occurred to me to harvest the leaves, though.


Eating the grape leaves, Fe, Eliza & Miles in the shade of the unharvested leaves.

Oh, and I think we've got a cherry tree! It never occurred to me before how similar they are to plums. I never saw anything but maraschino cherries until I was an adult. The fresh cherries in season around here are delicious. Cold, right out of the fridge, they are the perfect hangover food.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're finally appreciating your garden for more than shade for the kids. I had never tried fresh cherries (embarrassed to admit) until a couple of years ago when Nancy served them.
    How nice to have two blog entries from both girls in the same day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Need to edit that last comment - a new blog entry from EACH daughter in the same day, but you know what I meant to say.

    ReplyDelete