Sunday, May 10, 2009

May Days

May pole dancing, cotton candy, clowns, draft beer... See, being abroad is not all that different. To quote Travolta: "It's the little things..." Like calling that inflated funhouse type bubble thing kids jump in  a bouncy castle. (What do we call it?) We're behind the high walls of the British Embassy instead of in a wide open park. And there are imitation Persian carpets on the ground instead of picnic blankets. And there's a significant number of Filipino nannies helping out with the big Jordanian families instead of just a mom & dad utilizing a serious off-road stroller to manage their two.  

Friends: Adam (Falastine's husband) and Leanna at the May Fair.                                                          

Ben (Caroline's husband) with Emily


Spiderman! Where are you coming from, Spiderman? Nobody knows who you are!


Roaring tiger, Eliza, with her future sister-in-law, Maria (Leanna's big sister). These friends of ours are leaving next month, moving to Copenhagen (where Adam's from). Falastine (who is Palestinian / Arab Israeli) is my pilates teacher and was my Arabic teacher last lear. We carpooled and have been doing play dates with the kids (and adult dinner-partying) for over a year. We'll miss them!! But Maria and Miles's sincere plans to get married (this was decided some 6 months or so ago and is discussed by them as a sure thing coming) ensure that we will see each other again.
 

Here we have some pre-bed wrestling or as Miles called it, Monster Attack. Or something like that. Miles prefers to go shirtless these days, as many superhero types, to show off his muscles. 



4 comments:

  1. Loved Spiderman with his cotton candy and roaring Eliza the tiger.

    I think they are also called Bouncy Castles in the States, but maybe I have just heard you say that before.

    These pictures make me very excited to see you in just 2 1/2 mths!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As always I love seeing the kids in their everyday life! May I please request a new profile photo? Miles may have become the new 5-year-old muscle boy, but I'm not ready to see him like that every time I open your blog. Think of it as a Mother's Day gift... for NaNa.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What's funny is that he is soooo like that profile picture, but OK. I will change it. It's hard to get good photos of them together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Somehow I missed watching the video. I loved it! Makes me think of when our kids will someday be that age. Will have to show Brandon now.

    ReplyDelete